legal solutions with proven results.
Colton W. Givens
Colton Givens joined Kerrick Bachert in 2018. His practice is primarily focused on civil litigation, including insurance defense, business litigation, employment law, higher education law, and personal injury. Colton regularly appears in Kentucky's trial and appellate courts, both state and federal.
Before joining Kerrick Bachert, Colton served as a law clerk to the Honorable Thomas B. Russell, Senior District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky, and to the Honorable Eugene E. Siler, Jr., Senior Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Colton is a 2016 summa cum laude graduate of the University of Kentucky College of Law, where he was a member of the Kentucky Law Journal editorial board and the school's National Trial Competition team. His student note was published in Volume 104 of the Kentucky Jaw Journal and received the Faculty Award for Outstanding Note. Colton received his undergraduate degree in political science from Murray State University in 2013, where he participated in the mock trial team, marching band, and basketball pep band.
Colton has deep roots in the South Central Kentucky area, having grown up in Butler County, where he now resides.
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky
- J.D. - 2016
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Murray State University, Murray, Kentucky
- B.S. - 2013
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: Political Science
- Western District of Ky., Hon. Thomas B. Russell, Law Clerk, 2016 to 2017
- Sixth Circuit, Hon. Eugene E. Siler, Jr., Law Clerk, 2017 to 2018
- Cases, Controversies, and Direct Democracy, 104 Ky. L. J. 189, 2015
- Bowling Green-Warren County Bar Association, Officer, 2020 to Present
- Kentucky Defense Counsel, Member, 2021 to Present
- Kentucky Justice Association, Member, 2022 to Present
Current Employment Position
- Associate Attorney
- General Civil Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Higher Education Law
- Appellate Practice
- Personal Injury
- Kentucky, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2018
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 2018
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 2018
- Parsley v. Saylors Golf Carts, Inc., et al., 2021 WL 3698848, 2021, Ky. Ct. App.
- Boucher v. Paul, 2020 1074672, 2020, Ky. Ct. App.
- Colter v. City of Bowling Green, et al., 2019 WL 2714500, 2019, W.D. Ky.
- Brown v. Housing Authority of Tomkinsville, 2019 WL 2127324, 2019, W.D. Ky.